Vocabulary – Environment:
Pollution – is the introduction of harmful materials into the environment.
Biodiversity – refers to the variety of living organisms.
Ecosystem – a community or group of living organisms that live in and interact with each other in a specific environment.
Conservation – prevention of wasteful use of a resource.
Extinction – the fact or process of a species, family, or other group of animals or plants becoming extinct.
Useful collocations on the topic of environment
Damaging the Environment
The environment is always a common topic in IELTS Writing Test, especially in Task 2. Therefore, if you can make use of the collocations below, you will easily impress the examiner with your vocabulary and thus improve your writing IELTS score to band 7+.
1. Serious environmental degradation: The process in the quality of environment changes to a worse condition.
“In some industrial zones, the production processes may result in serious environmental degradation.”
2. Irresponsible disposal of industrial waste: Discharge industrial waste without concern about the environment.
“Global warming stems from the irresponsible disposal of industrial waste.”
3. Waste treatment systems: The way to treat wastes without harming the environment.
“If factory installed waste treatment systems instead of discharging chemical wastes into rivers, water pollution could be controlled.”
4. Discharge chemical waste: to dispose of chemical waste.
“Nowadays, more and more company and industrial zones have been discharging chemical waste into rivers, causing death to many fish and other aquatic animals.”
5. Litter the street: To leave the waste paper, cans, etc. on the street.
“Residents will consider newcomers dirty and ill-mannered if they litter the street or spit gum in public places.”
6. The emission of greenhouse gases: The act of sending out gas, especially carbon dioxide or methane, that is through to trap heat above the Earth and cause the greenhouse effect.
“If countries all over the world could decrease their energy consumption, this will reduce the emission of greenhouse gases.”
7. Chemical fertilizers/weed killers: Poison used to kill unwanted plants.
“Organic farmers do not pollute the water or the soil which result from the application of chemical fertilizers and weed killers.”
8. Eco-friendly: Not harmful to the environment.
“Countries such as Japan are leading the way, for example, in developing more eco-friendly cars, buses and lorries.”
9. To be spoiled by: To be received a bad effect that it is no longer attractive, enjoyable, useful, etc.
“Several famous beaches in Vietnam have been spoiled by this lack of respect for the local environment.”
10.Contamination of land, air or water: To make land, air or water dirty or harmful by putting chemicals or poison in it.
“Contamination of land, air and water has reached alarming levels.”
11. Illegal logging and deforestation: the work for cutting down trees for commercial purpose in an illegal way
“It should not be forgotten that illegal logging in the Amazon Basin is still a major factor in climate change.”
12. Burning fossil fuels: Burning a fuel such as coal or oil that is produced by the very gradual decaying of animals or plants over million of years.
” Individuals can make a small contribution by not burning wood and other fossil fuels.”
13. long-term consequences: something that happens in the distant future as a result of a particular action or set of conditions.
“The effects of our use of fossil fuels today may last for generations, and it is almost certain to have long-term consequences for humanity.”
14. Renewable energy: Renewable energy comes from sources that can be easily replaced naturally so that there is always more available.
“Wind farms and other sources of renewable energy will help to reduce CO2 emission to an acceptable level.”
15. Environmental protection: The act of protecting the environment.
” Environmental protection is one of the most important challenges almost every country is facing.”
16. Sustainable development: The development without damaging the environment.
” The government should commit to sustainable development and the protection of the environment.”
17. To deplete natural resource: To reduce the amount of natural resource.
” Depleting natural resource is become a serious concern for the government to get deal with.”
18. Fight climate change: To prevent a permanent change in weather
“International cooperation is necessary to fight climate change.”
19. Conserve energy: To protect and prevent energy from reduction.
“Scientists in many countries are cooperating to find a method to conserve energy.”
20. Sort the daily garbage: To arrange garbage in groups according to size, type daily.
“One thing that individual can do to protect the environment is sorting the daily garbage.”
21. Dump waste: To dispose of waste in an irresponsible manner
Example: Disposal of household waste is a daunting task for local authorities. Towns and cities cannot just dump such waste and hope it will go away.
22. Toxic waste: Poisonous waste
Example: Efforts to recycle waste are only a partial solution. Meanwhile, the problem of toxic waste remains.
23. Offset carbon emissions: Pay for an equivalent amount of carbon dioxide to be saved elsewhere
Example: Some airlines have schemes now for offsetting carbon emissions.
24. Introduce green taxes: Taxes which relate to the protection of the environment
Example: Politicians should not be afraid of introducing green taxes and incentives to encourage eco-friendly design in architecture.
25. Reduce carbon footprint: reduce amount of carbon dioxide created by an activity/person/business
26. Food miles: Distance food has to travel between where it is grown or made and where it is consumed
Example: We can all reduce our carbon footprint by flying less, and reduce our food miles by buying local produce.
Climate Change and Its Consequence :
27. Searing heat: extreme heat
Example: Parts of Europe which used to be cooler now experience intense, searing heat, and temperatures soar above the average every summer
28. Widespread flooding
Example: Most areas in Europe suffer widespread flooding on a regular basis.
29. Alternative energy sources
30. Hybrid car
Example: To protect the environment, people can buy a hybrid car, develop alternative energy sources for homes, solar heating for instance. and build more offshore wind farms.
31. Combat climate change
Example: It is absolutely vital that every civil plays their role in combating climate change.
32. Environmental catastrophe
Example: We may have less than a decade to avoid an environmental catastrophe on a global scale.