- Which movies do you like?
→ I am a huge fan of romance and The Notebook is definitely my number one choice (1) when it comes to classic (3) romance movies. Although the motif (2) of a tragic love story isn’t new, the movie is still a masterpiece (4) to me.
- (1) My number one choice: Number one /nʌm.bə ˈwʌn/ – Choice /tʃɔɪs/:
Example : Iphone is always my number one choice.
- (2) Motif /məʊˈtiːf/:
Example: The motif of betrayal is crucial in all these stories.
- (3) Classic /ˈklæs.ɪk/:
Example: I’ve always enjoyed reading classic novels.
- (4) Masterpiece /ˈmɑː.stə.piːs/:
Example: Leonardo’s “Last Supper” is widely regarded as a masterpiece.
- Do your friends like this movie?
→ Unlike me, most of my friends say this is such a cliché (5) movie and therefore, would rather spend their time watching horror movies, which gives them real thrills(6) .
- (5) Cliché /ˈkliː.ʃeɪ/
Example: The story is shamelessly corny, and grownups will groan at its clichés.
- (6) To give them real thrills / ɡɪv ðem rɪəl θrɪls/:
- Do you want to be a movie star?
→ Not at all. Becoming a celebrity means you have to expose your private life (7) to the rest of the world, and sharing has never been my thing . Besides, I have a fear of cameras(8) , which means I could never become an actor/ actress.
- (7) To expose your private life: Expose /ɪkˈspəʊz/ – Private /ˈpraɪ.vət/ – Life /laɪf/
Example: You shouldn’t expose your private life on Facebook
- (8) A fear of cameras:
Example: He has a fear of cameras