Below are over 100 questions answered about the IELTS test, results, listening, reading, writing and speaking.
1. IELTS Test Information
- What does IELTS mean?IELTS stands for: International English Language Testing System.
- How many skills are tested in the IELTS test?There are 4 skills tested: listening, reading, writing and speaking.
- Does the IELTS test accept American English?Yes, it does. It is an international test of English. In the speaking test, most examiners speak with an English or Australian accent. For spelling, you must choose either US or UK spelling – you can’t mix them.
- Which skills do I take on the same day?Listening, reading and writing are all taken on the same day. The speaking test can be taken either before, after or on the same day as the other skills.
- Is there a break between the reading and writing test?No, there is no break between the listening, reading and writing test. They are all taken together and take a total of 2 hours and 40 minutes. So, make sure you eat and drink well before you take your test
- Can I use a pen in my IELTS Test?You can use a pen or pencil for your IELTS writing test. However, for your listening and reading test, you must use a pencil (don’t forget to take an eraser with you).
- How many times can I take my IELTS test?You can take it as many times as you want. There is no limit.
- Can I wear a watch in my IELTS test?No, you can’t. You can’t wear a watch in any of the IELTS tests, even the speaking test. There will be a clock on the wall so you can check the time.
- What happens if I am colour blind?You should contact your IELTS test center before the exam to let them know. They will adapt any colour pages or illustrations for you in the test.
- General Training IELTS – what are the differences?The GT IELTS test is only different in reading and writing. All students take the same speaking and listening test. However, GT students take a different reading test and a different writing test. See below in the relevant sections for more information.
2. Test Results Information
- How long does it take for my test results to arrive? Your results will be posted to you 13 days after you have taken your test. It is possible to get your results by sms or online at some test centers. Contact them to find out. However, there are times when results are delayed longer than 13 days – see question number 5 below.
- How long are my IELTS results valid?Your IELTS results are valid for 2 years.
- Can I get my IELTS test remarked?Yes, you can. In 2014, it costs around 100 usd to get your test remarked. It is the same price for all 4 skills or just one. You should contact your local IELTS test center to get the form for remarking.If your results change and your band score goes up, you will get your money refunded. You have 6 weeks after taking your test to get your test remarked. Your test will be remarked by a different examiner. It takes about 6 to 8 weeks for the results of your remark to arrive. Alternatively, you could take your test again.
- If I take IELTS twice, which result can I use?You can use the test in which you scored the highest as long as the result is still valid (which means as long as it is not more than two years old).