264 Collocations for IELTS Speaking Band 8 (Part2)
51. ground rule: a basic principle
52. retrospect: a survey or review of a past course of events or period of time
53. to make the right move: to have a right decision
54. role model: a person looked to by others as an example to be imitated
55. to look up to sb: to admire and respect someone
56. to take different paths: to make different decisions
57. to be highly capable: to perform or show potential for performing at significantly advanced levels when compared with others
58. to be diametrical to sb/st: to be completely different to sth/sb
59. approachable: easy to talk with; friendly
60. further education: formal education beyond school other than at a university or polytechnic
61. citywide: including or occurring in all parts of a city
62. bump into: to meet by chance
63. crack someone up: to make someone laugh
64. be in awe: fearful and respectful of someone or something
65. Genre: a particular style in arts
66. Hotspot: a popular and exciting place
67. Dance the night away: to spend the whole night dancing
68. Sing one’s heart out: To sing with great enthusiasm
69. Improvise a tune: to perform without preparation.
70. Vividly remember: remember something accurately
71. coincidental: happening by chance, not planned
72. go – to place: the best place to come
73. caught one’s eye: attract one’s attention
74. warm ambience: warm atmosphere
75. a hideaway: a place you can go to hide or to be alone
76. run away: escape from somebody/ a place
77. the hustle and bustle: noisy activity of a lot of people in one place
78. retain their clients: keep their customers
79. in the long run: a long period in the future
80. Adaptation: the transfer of a written work to a film
81. Hit the big screen: to be shown at the cinema
82. Exceeded my expectations: to be better that expected
83. Cry one’s eyes out: cry a lot.
84. be overwhelmed by something: to get so much of something that it becomes a problem
85. to live in solitude: to live all alone
86. much less: not to mention
87. heartfelt gratitude: sincere readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness
88. back in the day: in the past
89. take one’s eyes off: to cease looking at something or someone
90. now and then: sometimes
91. make my dream come true: make a wish or a dream become a reality.
92. Dormitory: a building for college students to live in
93. A music festival: a community event oriented towards live performances of singing and instrument playing
94. Swarming with: to be full of something
95. Stuffy atmosphere: an unpleasantly warm atmosphere without enough fresh air
96. Elaborate on the story: Explain in greater detail.
97. Burst into laughter: A spontaneous and sudden fit of laughter.
98. To be all the rage: to be very popular or fashionable.
99. To be caught up in all this hype: to be involved in a discussion on TV, radio, etc. (disapproving)
100. To show somebody the ropes: To show somebody how something is done.