You should say:
- what kind of advertisement it was
- what the content of the advertisement was (or what product or service was advertised)
- where you saw or heard it
and explain why you think this is an unforgettable advertisement.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you’re going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
It was an attractive advertisement of a US-based soft drink commonly known as 7up. It tastes lemon-lime and non-caffeinated as well. The advertisement is about the soft drink and how it is able to attract even a half-drawn cartoon. It shows that a young lady was sitting in a formal situation and she was busy in drawing a cartoon. When she was served the 7up, she stopped drawing the cartoon. But when the cartoon character sees the 7up, it draws itself and also draws a glass so that the lady could pour him the 7up. The advertisement was partially live and partially animated. The part of the drawing is live. A woman is sitting alone. She has nothing to do, so she starts drawing a piece of cartoon after her will. This is the live part. The animated part in the advertisement begins when the half-done cartoon starts drawing. The advertisement ends with the appreciation of the cartoon as it has got the drink finally.
I saw the advertisement on television. When I was a kid, the advertisement was televised regularly. I cannot recall the exact dates and times but as far I remember, it was the 1990s when the advertisement was aired. It was a popular advertisement and thus it was aired amid different programmes during the peak hours. But interestingly, before watching the advertisement, it heard it from one of my elementary school friends who watched the advertisements. It was he, Smith, who helped to be familiar with this specific advertisement. In fact, after being familiar with the advertisement, I waited eagerly to watch the advertisement. It was one of my favourite advertisements in my childhood and even I miss it today.
The content of the advertisement was the promotion of a soft and non-alcoholic drink, 7up. The origin of 7up goes back to the USA. In 1920, the drink was created and the lemon-lime formula appeared in 1929. Originally it was named as Bib-Label Lithiated Lemon-Lime Soda. It was also considered as medicine for stabilising people’s mood. Many of the people with bad moods have used it as medicine to improve their mental stability. The brand has experienced numerous ups and downs. It has been sold several times from a group to another. A good number of variations could be found in the drink but many of the users have opined that 7up Lime is the best.
Usually, the children remember anything they see or do in their early age. In most of the cases, it has been found that they can recall the past incidents more than the adults. When I was a kid of 7 years, I was exposed to this advertisement. At that time, watching the advertisement was a kind of entertainment for me. Sometimes I also tried to draw a cartoon and kept a bottle of 7up near me believing that the cartoon will start drawing itself. But I was wrong and the cartoon never drew itself on the page as it did on television. Being a child, I had no idea then that everything we have seen on television was not real. So, I felt sad and discussed the issue with my friends who laughed at me for my obsession. For all such reasons, the advertisement has set itself in my mind. I have seen a good number of advertisements but did not care for them. As a grown-up man, I now believe that everything we see is unreal. There are always some hidden issues. But as I have lots of memories with the specific advertisement, this is unforgettable to me.
Model Answer 2:
It was a commercial advertisement of a chocolate and it was televised when I was a kid. In fact, the kids of the present age are completely unaware of such an advertisement. Thank you for your interesting question. I have turned nostalgic with the memory of the advertisement.
This was a video advertisement aired on various television channels. Besides, it came with jingles too. The jingle was not that much attractive but the performance of the artists and models on the advertisement were outstanding. I cannot forget the dance on the last part of the advertisement. This was one of the most attractive advertisements for me in my childhood.
The content of the advertisement was about a chocolate. The advertisement begins in a stadium. A cricket match was going on. There was a tension in the air. Everyone was extremely excited. Only a single run was needed to make the century. Bowler delivered the ball. The batsman was also worried about the shot. He hit the ball and felt tensed if it would be a six or he gets out. By the time, a young lady (might be the fiancé of the batsman) was also worried. The camera focused on her chocolate. It was a dairy milk. She forgot to bite the chocolate in tension. But when it was a six, she burst into joy and ran out of the gallery to meet with the batsman.
I saw it first on television. I was a boy of 12 and loved watching television. Most of the evening, I used to watch television after returning home from outside activities. It was a kind of routine for me to watch television for at least one hour in a day. And in that time, I used to watch few cartoon series and advertisement. We had only a single television set in our house in my childhood. So, the parents and other senior people used to allow us to watch television only for one hour in the evening and they used to watch the remaining hours till going to bed. The hour that we got was enough for us. Moreover, we were delighted and waited for the hour eagerly.
This is an unforgettable advertisement for many reasons. All the kids present before the television set came to know about the chocolate. And then it turned into our favourite one later. Besides, we loved to watch the dance of the young lady. She had a nice posture of dancing. Further, she evaded a policeman to reach near the batsman. It was a wonderful scene. The policeman tried to block her way but she managed to escape the obstacle, dodged the policeman and reached near the batsman. The young lady and the batsman were really happy.
Idea generation for this Cue Card topic:
“Describe an unforgettable advertisement”
1. It was an educational advertisement that I saw on the television. In fact, I did not get the theme the first time I watched it. The content of the advertisement was about using the stairs in a public place. I saw that the staircases were designed following a piano. Whenever someone uses the stair, it made a sound like a piano. I saw it on television and it was made to make people aware of using the stairs. The advertisement was completely different than the usual types of commercials. So, I still remember it.
2. Often the car manufacturers advertise their brands in a different way. So was the advertisement for the Mini. The advertisement was meant to inspire people to get a car from this manufacturer. I saw the advertisement in a newspaper. A car was wrapped in a plastic type cover which is available for toy cars. And some people were walking beside the car and looking into the pack. It was an innovative advertisement because of its nature. I still remember the advertisement as it was funny yet creative. I think a large car cannot be packed in a toy-car selling pack. Therefore, the advertisement was in my mind.
3. Health is termed as wealth. People across the world try to achieve it in different ways and attending a gym is one the best ways to preserve a good health. So, the ad content was about participating in a gym. I saw the ad in a magazine that a woman was carrying a bag. But the handle was shaped differently. It was like she was carrying a dumbbell in her hand. Actually, it was done to motivate people for participating in gyms. I can remember the ad for its unique approach. Many adverts often highlight the product’s features and quality but this was different. It showed how it was necessary to attend a gym.
4. The shoe advertisement of Woodland appeared wonderful to me. I saw it on a billboard. The content of the advertisement was about a shoe from this brand. In fact, the shoe looked striking on the billboard. A leather-made large shoe was displayed on the top of a billboard with a small sign of the brand. Undoubtedly, the idea was innovative. It arrested attention from all types of people who noticed it. This is really an unforgettable advertisement. I have not seen such a dummy shoe before and it was large indeed. The colour of the shoe, the hanging lace – everything was different than the content of usual ads.
5. Cannon is a big brand in the arena of camera and accessories. The other day while I was out, I saw the advertisement on the street. It was praiseworthy and pioneering. They painted a part of the street in the shape of a camera while the lens was the small pillar. So, whoever passed through the pillar had to look at that. Within a small budget, it was an attractive advertisement. The manufacturer just needed to take permission and paint the street resembling a camera. I remember it because it made me feel amazed when I saw it.
If you can talk about the cue card topic “Describe an unforgettable advertisement.” you should be able to talk about the following IELTS cue card topics as well:
- Describe an interesting advertisement.
- Talk about an advertisement you liked.
- Describe a product or service advertisement that caught your attention.