Sports is an interesting topic in IELTS Speaking, and the frequency of facing the topic in the IELTS speaking test is really high. Hence, it is important to be knowledgeable about the different vocabulary for sports when preparing for IELTS.
To commence with, I would like to give you some ideas about the Pros and Cons of Sports that help you not only in speaking test but also in writing test.
- Feel a sense of enjoyment
Example: Whenever I play football with my friends, I feel a sense of enjoyment although I sweat a lot.
- Have an opportunity to socialize
Example: Participating in sports allows you to socialize, which means you can meet and make new friends
- Face the risk of injury
Example: You should be careful when playing sports otherwise you will face the risk of injury.
- Need large investment of time
Example: Playing a sport will need a large investment of time.
Collocations and Phrases for IELTS Speaking Test : Topic Sports
1. To take up exercise: to start doing exercise
Example: I say I’m going to take up exercise all the time, but I always find an excuse to delay.
2. To train hard: to train with a lot of effort
Example: An athletic has to train hard to achieve their goal.
3. To do judo:
Example: My friend is physically very strong. She does judo every day.
4. To play tennis/football:
Example: At the weekends I like to play football with friends, and sometimes I just do judo to kill my times.
5. A strong swimmer: a good swimmer
Example: My father who is a strong swimmer teaches me how to swim.
6. To get into shape: to become fit
Example: My brother does many exercises, which help him to get into shape.
7. To keep fit: to stay in a good physical condition
Example: I try to keep fit by consuming healthy food and doing exercise regularly
8. To go jogging: to run around the street
Example: I usually go jogging with my mother in the park which is near my house in the early morning or the afternoon.
9. To set a record: to achieve the best result in a sports
Example: All athletics always want to set a record or get personal bests.
10. Sports facilities: the equipment and services needed to do a sports
Example: My university spends a lot of money on upgrading the sports facilities.
11. A personal best: to achieve the best result so far in the sports
Example: Sara trains hard to achieve her personal bests.
12. Brisk walk: a fast walk
Example: Doing a brisk walk is one of the best ways to maintain our health.
13. A big/huge/massive fan of: supporter or admirer who really like something
Example: I am a huge fan of football, and my favourite club is Real Marid.
14. To be out of condition: to be not physical fit
Example: Lacking of doing exercise and playing sports can lead to being out of condition.
15. An athletics meeting: an event where various athletics sports are held
Example: It has been my dream to go to an athletics meeting with my family to watch sports, especially football matches.
16. A football match: a game of football
Example: I have never missed a football match of my favourite club.