Describe a long walk you ever had.
You should say:
- when this happened
- where you walked
- who you were with
and explain how you felt about this long walk.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you’re going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
During the last summer, in 2015, I went to Greece with my parents and other family members and had a long walk on the Olympus Mountain range. The walking lasted for about three and a half hours.
We walked through the entire range and enjoyed the natural beauties of the local areas. The mountain is considered as the second highest mountain in the country and also admired by both the local and international travellers for its association with the Greek mythology. Many events have taken place on the mountain and it was the residence of 12 Gods of Greek mythology. But currently, the hiking route and the natural beauty is the key attraction for the travellers. The walking routes contained large croplands, peaks, places for collecting foods and other necessary materials etc.
We started the walking using the international hiking path at the E4 starts and the walking ended at the Enipea springs. The entire walking distance was about 1100 meters. During the walking passage, we experienced some stunning natural scenes. The walking trails were marked clearly and there were many ascents and descents across the entire route which made the walking more enjoyable. When we started the walking, the river was left to us and we crossed some beautiful bridges made with wood. We also visited the Agios Dionysios Monastery, a beautiful place. The views of the Enipea waterfalls are breathtaking. Though there were some troubles to ascent and descent on the trail, the entire walking was enjoyable to me.
I was accompanied by my family at the walk. The family members contained my parents, my elder brother and sister and my pet dog. We reached the entrance with a car and then started the journey. It was interesting for me to walk such a long distance but all the other members could not enjoy like me. As I regularly participate in my college sports, I am physically more fit than the other members. Consequently, my parents and the elder sister had to experience some troubles. They were lagging behind often and could not keep pace with me and my elder brother. Besides, they just took breaks after every ten minutes with the excuse to drink water. However, it was a nice journey for us all.
It was my long desire to go for a long walk or hiking in the mountain. I have many experiences to walk on flat lands but walking ins a mountain trail was a completely new experience for me. During the walk in meadows, I did not have to undergo any stress but in this mountain walk, in fact, I had to take some stress like the other family members. They stopped frequently, but I controlled myself from the taking regular breaks, Moreover, the ascent and descent of the geographical structure also had some impacts on my body as during the upward slopes, I had to rely on the stick on my hand and sometimes I extended my hand to my mom while my elder helped my sister. When we reached near the waterfalls, everyone seemed to be relaxed as the journey was over.
Model Answer 2:
I have never walked so much before the day of official hiking as a scout in my school. It was the longest walk of my life and had a great experience. It was an expedition for me and my team of scouts. Thank you for the question, and it reminds me of my school days.
I was involved in scouting in my school days and took part in many adventurous activities. As part of the scouting, I had to be the member of the hiking team. The team explored the entire city on foot. It was really a nice experience. But I had some difficulties with walking as I had to carry a certain amount of load on my back.
I walked across the city of Beverly Hills. It is a very beautiful city and attracts people most for the good number of places. The walk was made to make the city familiar to us. Besides, there were some rules and regulations. The city also aimed to help us know about the road signs, how to walk and cross the streets and more other matters related to the street walking. Besides, the hiking was also enjoyable as it was planned to make us feel us a strange feeling. During the walk, I lost direction several times and had to be on the track. It was interesting and felt very happy.
It was a teamwork. So, I had to be with my team of scouts. The team consisted of five other members. Each of us was assigned with different responsibilities. Someone was assigned to carry the water bottle while another one was carrying biscuits and other snacks. I was walking with the city map. The route crossed almost all the streets of the city. And we had to follow the directions to reach our destination. After walking for about three and half hours, we reached the destination that was shown on the map. We discovered that we could have reached there within less of the time that we spent if we were told directly to be at the place.
It was a memorable walk for me. I have had a different experience here. I walked before but those were for short times. But this was a long walk and I walked continuously. Sweating was a constant companion to me. Finding the directions and signs on the street was extremely difficult for me. Walking with an opened map was also troublesome. Whenever I made a mistake to find out the direction, I had to experience hot words from the other mates. But when we reached the destination, they thanked me generously. In an overall consideration, it was a nice walk for me indeed.
Idea Generation for this Cue Card topic:
1. The long walk in the Bandra was one of the most delightful events for me. Last summer, I took the walk. The surrounding areas were amazing and I came to know about lots of things. I went there for some business deals and completed the tasks before the schedule. So, I wanted to spend the additional day for visiting the city. It took around three hours for me. A group of tourists was with me during the walk. I actually had no ideas that it could be so nice and interesting. The village lanes, the natives, the natural beauty – everything was adorable.
2. Walking across the Bangor Trail in Germany was an extraordinary event for me. It was a 30-mile long walk (though I could not complete it entirely). I took the walk last year. And I was accompanied by a couple of my college mates. It was a challenging walk indeed and we all completed about 10 miles together. The feelings were great. In fact, walking through the uninhabited mountain range gave a different type of thrill to us. We were alone there. And the sudden rain compelled us to return early.
3. Coast to coast walk in Northern England was a remarkable event in my recent days. I participated in this walk in April in the last year. Some of my college friends participated in it. In fact, we had been planning for a long to take this 192-mile walk. It took around one and a half week for us. I did not have any idea that it would be so long and after completing it, we were amazed indeed.
4. Walking towards the Ba Na hill resort was an excellent foot walk for me. I took the walk alone in the middle of last month. In fact, I asked some of my friends here in Vietnam to participate in the walk but they rejected. None of them was interested. So, I started my own. The trails were adorable and I loved the waterfalls. When I reached the resort, all my tiredness was gone. I walked for about four hours at a stretch and it was truly a wonderful experience for me.
5. There are several places available for long walks in Turkey but I went to Goreme for a day-long walk. A few months ago, I took the walk and some of my family members (particularly my cousins) accompanied me. I walked through the Rose Valley and enjoyed the walk very much. Moreover, I hired a driver to drop and pick me from the starting point. The entire locality was filled with natural blessings. I felt that I was in heaven. In fact, this was the very first experience of my life to have such a long walk.
If you can talk about the cue card topic “Describe a long walk you ever had.” you should be able to talk about the following IELTS cue card topics as well:
- Describe something interesting you recently did.
- Describe a long walk you had with someone.
- Describe a journey you remember well.