Speaking Part 1: Water Sports
1. What kinds of water sports do you know?
I think most people know swimming and diving. In recent years snorkelling and scuba-diving have also become popular, as people want to see the undersea world. Water ballet is something I enjoy watching because every dance is coordinated so well, and the aesthetics are striking.
2. What are the advantages and disadvantages of water sports?
One obvious advantage is that you don’t feel sweaty, being in water all the time. Also, I’ve heard that water sports are very good because they don’t hurt your muscles. The biggest disadvantage would be that you must know how to swim, which is not easy to learn for many. And there’s always the risk of drowning. Even those who swim well can be in danger if they have cramps.
3. Have you done water sports?
I used to love swimming in high school. I’d swim 20 laps every morning back then. That was how I stayed fit during that time. After moving to college however, my daily schedule became pretty hectic, so I lost the habit. I should try making time for it every now and then.
4. Are water sports popular in your country?
Yes, of course! India is a very hot country, and thus people like to spend time by the water. Moreover, we have a wide range of water sports available from white-water rafting, to swimming and even surfing.
- Snorkeling: Snorkeling is the practice of swimming on or through a body of water while equipped with a diving mask, a shaped breathing tube called a snorkel, and usually swim fins.
Ex: She decided to go for snorkeling after her boards
- Undersea world: Under the sea area
Ex: I used to fantasize living in the undersea world when I was a kid.
- Hectic: Tiresome
Ex: She is having a hectic schedule
- White water rafting: Rafting and whitewater rafting are recreational outdoor activities which use an inflatable raft to navigate a river or other body of water. This is often done on whitewater or different degrees of rough water. Dealing with risk is often a part of the experience.
Ex: She wants to do white water rafting