Below is a sample letter for Task 1 of the General IELTS Writing Section. It is an informal letter, which can be identified in several ways:
- the tone, which is very warm, personal and friendly
- the use of first names ( Julie, Irene)
- the use of contractions (I’m, you’re, can’t)
- the use of informal expressions (Thanks, Write soon)
- the closing salutation ( Warm wishes, instead of the more formal “Yours sincerely” or “Yours faithfully”)
WRITING TASK 1
You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.
An English-speaking friend wants to spend a two-week holiday in your region and has written asking for information and advice. Write a letter to your friend. In your letter,
- offer to find somewhere to stay
- give advice about what to do
- give information about what clothes to bring
Write at least 150 words.
You do NOT need to write any address.
Begin your letter as follows:
Thanks so much for your latest letter. I’m really excited to hear that you’re planning to visit Toronto. It will give me a chance to take you around, as you did so kindly for me when I was in Amsterdam last year.
Regarding your visit, I would be happy to help in any way possible. First, unless you really like freezing weather, I suggest you come in the summer months of July or August. Though most hotels are expensive at that time, we have some wonderful guest suites available in our high-rise building, for only about $50 per night. They are fully furnished studio apartments, with a kitchen, so you can have the option of eating in. Just let me know your dates and I can make a reservation for you.
Summer is also the time when all the tourist sites are open. We can visit Centre Island, Canada’s Wonderland, Niagara Falls, the CN Tower, the Royal Ontario Museum, the Science Centre and Thousand Islands. The weather should be warm and comfortable, around 25 – 30 degrees Celsius, so bring your informal summer clothes, a swimsuit and an umbrella too. We do get summer showers quite often.
I can’t wait for you to come! Write soon with more details,