Describe a book you liked to read in your childhood
|Describe a book you liked to read in your childhood
You should say:
and explain why you liked it.
Band 8 Sample
Well, I’m going to share with you the book that I was really fond of reading when I was a little girl, which is Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone. It’s a fantasy novel written by the British author J. K. Rowling, and she has become really popular all over the world now thanks to this fantastic series of books.
The book illustrates the school life of a young wizard, Harry Potter, and his two best friends Ron and Hermione. Harry had a powerful enemy, the Dark Wizard, Lord Voldemort, who longed for immortality and to rule the magic world.
I started reading this book when I was about 8 years old I think. At that time, I was only beginning to improve my reading skills, and Harry Potter was quite a thick book so it took me ages to get through it.
As a little girl, I didn’t understand all the details in the book but I truly admired the story of Harry’s friendship with Ron and Hermione. And I think it helped me to feel more confident to make friends with my classmates, some of whom I still keep in touch with now. And I guess that is the main reason why I appreciate this book so much.
- fond of – to like
- fantasy novel – a book that involves magic or imaginary worlds
- author – someone who writes a book, story or article
- longed for – really wanted
- immortality – the ability to keep on living, and never die
- to rule – to control something
- took me ages – took a long time
- get through it – to read it
- keep in touch with – to stay in communication with someone, through email, message or phone
- appreciate – to be thankful