Describe about some story which you like a lot or someone told you about.
You should say:
- Who told you this story?
- When did you hear it?
- What was the story about?
- Why you liked this story?or Why you found it memorable
● I have heard a lot of stories in my life.
● I believe that storytelling is an art as old as civilization itself.
● My grandmother used to tell me stories every night at bedtime.
● All her stories were fun to hear
● Some stories were fairy tales, some of princes and princesses and some were tales from the Panchtantra, which had animal characters in them.
● Most of her stories had some moral behind them
● Here I would like to talk about a story which she told me many times.
● This is the story of the greedy dog.
● Once upon a time there was a dog
● He was very hungry.
● He wandered here and there in search of food.
● He got a juicy bone from a butcher’s shop.
● He felt very happy.
● He took the bone and ran away.
● He reached on a bridge of a river.
● He saw his own shadow in the water.
● He thought that there was another dog with a juicy bone in his mouth.
● His mouth watered and he wanted to snatch that bone from him.
● He started barking on him and as he opened his mouth, the bone fell down from his mouth in to the river.
● The dog lost his own juicy bone.
● He repented at his greed.
● But, alas nothing could be done.
● The moral of the story is that the greedy lose what they have.
● Greed is a curse.
● My grandma used to teach me values of life through these stories.
● Now, I tell these stories to my niece and nephew when they come to my place.
● They enjoy these stories a lot.
Part 3 – Follow Up Questions
1. Has storytelling changed over a period of time?
Yes, definitely. Everything changes with time. My grandmother used to tell me stories from her memory, and had no book in her hand. Now, I see my sister reads out stories to her children from the various books she buys from the market. Telling stories to children has also largely been replaced by watching TV. Grandparents, parents and children are glued to the TV screen for long hours and there is no time left for story telling. [makkarIELTS]
2. Which way is better, traditional storytelling or the use of technology in storytelling?
I believe the traditional method is much better. It has a personal touch and increases the bonding between parents or grandparents and children. Unfortunately, it is dying out and programmes like curious George and ChhotaBhim are taking its place.
3. Do you think that generally most of the people are good at storytelling?
It is very difficult to generalize and answer this question. One thing is sure, and that is that we all tell stories from time to time in our life. Some people are born story tellers and can bind their audiences for long periods of time. They can concoct stories on the spur of the moment. It is difficult to tell whether their stories are fake or real.
4. What makes storytelling effective?
The way the stories are told can make any story effective. The use of gestures also helps. Using the right pauses at the right places and good pronunciation makes the stories effective. But, perhaps the most important thing to see is to read the interest of the audience. Fairy tales may amuse children, but may not create impact on adult listeners. Young people may be interested to hear stories related to their favourite celebs.
5. Is it important to tell stories?
Yes, it is very important to tell stories. They are a good means of communication.
Sometimes a message may be conveyed through a story in a much better way than by a simple conversation.
6. Is reading books beneficial or watching documentaries better?
Both have their sets of pros and cons. But, I think reading has an edge over watching a documentary. Reading is an active phenomenon, whereas watching a documentary is a passive activity. Reading is not only good for children,but also delays cognitive decline in the elderly. Dementias can be delayed if people read a lot. However, watching a documentary can make things easier to understand, and if made well, can have a longlasting effect.