Topic : EDUCATING PRISONERS
- carry out (phr.v)
- deter (v)
- empathy (n)
- equip sb with (collocation)
- have the intention of (collocation)
- instil (v)
- offender (n)
- preventive (adj)
- prospect (n)
- ripple (adj)
- ripple (n)
- self-worth (n)
- to earn a living (collocation)
- undeniably (adv)
Task 1: Write sentences from given cues. Make changes to the cues when needed.
- high price / deter / young people / buy / house.
- offender / need / more / empathy / surround / people / after / leave / prison
- when / she / hear / news / her best friend’s wedding / ripple / excitement / flow up / her spine.
- it / part / a teacher / job / instil / confidence / their students.
- There / not / many / prospect / that / the war / will / over / soon.
- police / carry out / thorough search / premises / but / fail / find / any drugs.
- sometimes / when / it / hard / earn a living / we / seem / doubt / self-worth.
- past / ten years / preventive / measure / radically / reduce / level / tooth decay / children.
- All / police / equip / shields / defend / themselves / rioters.
- I / have / no intention / change / my plans / just / fit in / his.
Task 2: Fill in the blanks with suitable words/phrase
|carry out (phr.v)||offender (n|
|deter (v)||preventive (adj)|
|empathy (n)||prospect (n)|
|equip sb with (collocation)||ripple (adj)|
|have the intention of (collocation)||ripple (n)|
|instil (v)||self-worth (n)|
|undeniably (adv)||to earn a living (collocation)|
Studies show that criminals get a low level of education. Some people believe that the best way to reduce crime is educating people in prison so they can get a job after leaving prison.
To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Educating 1___________during imprisonment as a method of reducing the future crime rates is major topic of concern in today’s society. While I agree that such a solution is effective in reducing crime, I am convinced that it is far from being the best method and there are many better ways of reducing crime.
I accept that education for prisoners may contribute to the reduction of crime. The primary reason is that such a form of education could provide offenders with the working skills that are essential when they return to the community. With improved job 2___________, prisoners may therefore 3___________after leaving prison and are less likely to commit a crime again. Another significant reason is that education could 4___________a sense of value and 5___________in offenders. As a consequence, they may demonstrate more 6___________towards others in the wider community, and become better citizens after
their prison years. This may even have 7___________effect on others around them to live without crime.
However, I am firmly of the opinion that education for offenders is not the best solution to reduce crime. This form of education is offered only to those who have committed a crime, and therefore has far less 8___________value, compared to other stronger solutions. For example, severe punishments such as longer imprisonment for criminals could 9___________criminal acts by other members of the public who 10___________a crime.There are also other educational methods that may have a stronger and more long-lasting impact on the reduction of crime. An excellent example of this is crime education at school, which helps 11___________the necessary knowledge about crime and crime prevention. This measure is 12___________a more sustainable crime-fighting solution than education for criminals.
To conclude, I firmly believe that although educating prisoners is an effective way to reduce crime, it is not the best solution, as there are more preventive and sustainable measures such as crime education at school and stricter punishments for criminals.
The answer will be updated on February 4, 2021
- High prices are deterring many young people from buying houses.
- Offenders need more empathy from surrounding people after leaving prison.
- When she heard the news of her best friend’s wedding, a ripple of excitement flowed up her spine.
- It is part of a teacher’s job to instil confidence into their students.
- There’s not much prospect that the war will be over soon.
- The police carried out a thorough search of the premises, but failed to find any drugs.
- Sometimes when it is hard to earn a living, we seem to doubt our self-worth.
- In the past ten years, preventive measures have radically reduced levels of tooth decay in children.
- All the police officers were equipped with shields to defend themselves against the rioters.
- 10.1 have no intention of changing my plans just to fit in with his.
- (1) offenders
- (2) prospects
- (3) earn a living
- (4) instil
- (5) self-worth
- (6) empathy
- (7) ripple
- (8) preventive
- (9) deter
- (10) have the intention of carrying out
- (11) equip students with
- (12) undeniably