The availability of entertainment such as video games on handheld devices are harmful to individuals and to the society they live in.
To what extent do you agree and disagree?
Some examples of ideas
– Serve as a relaxation tool → help people destress during breaks at work
– Cultivate soft skills → teamwork skills,communication skills, creativity.
– Create global communities → connect millions of online players together.
– Expand the gaming industry → promote economic growth.
– Distance themselves from families and friends
– To be prone to mental and physical issues like depression, obesity.
– Lead to a society of people living sedentary lifestyles.
– Deterioration of health and burdening many countries’ healthcare systems.
The increasing popularity of entertainment on portable devices is believed to have a negative effect on individuals and society. In my opinion, I think this development has both benefits and drawbacks.
To begin with, the availability of entertainment on handheld devices is advantageous in many ways. From an individual perspective, video games and other types of entertainment serve as excellent relaxation tools for people who suffer from high levels of work-related stress. These convenient sources of entertainment allow people to destress whenever they want, either during breaks or after a long day at work, without having any impact on their productivity. Also, many mobile games help to create global communities for people sharing the same interests. For example, PUBG mobile has successfully hosted international events and competitions, and thus connected millions of players together from all around the world.
Beneficial as it may be, too much easily accessible entertainment on handheld devices can bring about several negative impacts. Since video games could be addictting, many young people these days spend too much time on their devices, and therefore isolate themselves from their families and friends. This lack of face-to-face interaction not only hurts many real-life relationships but also increases the risk of mental health issues among the youth. In addition, when people waste large amounts of time on video games, they tend to be less active, which can eventually lead to a society of people living sedentary lifestyles. Lack of exercise over a long period of time makes people vulnerable to metabolic diseases such as obesity, causing the deterioration of health and burdening a countries healthcare system.
In conclusion, although the accessibility of entertainment on portable devices can result in many health risks, they can also be effective stress relievers for many people, and encourage the networking of like-minded individuals across the globe.
- Relaxation tools /stress relievers
- Face-to-face interaction
- A society of people living sedentary lifestyles
- Makes people vulnerable to
- Deterioration of health