Describe a time you were sleepy but had to stay awake
- When it happened?
- Why you were sleepy?
- Why you had to stay awake?
- And how you stayed awake?
- There have been many times when I have stayed awake at night.
- I usually do so when my cousins come to stay over for the night at my home.
- We watch some movies and just have fun with each other.
- Here, I would like to talk about a time when I was really tired and sleepy, but I had to stay awake.
- It was the last day of my exams, and I hadn’t slept the whole night before.
- As I was coming out of the examination hall, I was thinking I would go home and hit the bed.
- But when I came home, I was surprised to see a lot of my relatives at home.
- My grandfather had slipped in the bathroom and had injured himself.
- They had already taken him to the hospital and got his X-Ray done.
- There was no fracture, but perhaps a muscle tear in his ankle.
- The doctor had advised strict bed rest for a week.
- My grandfather needed a lot of care.
- He couldn’t even go to the bathroom on his own.
- So, it was decided that we would all take turns to sit by his side and take care of him.
- But all relatives just left one by one.
- I love my grandfather so much that I forgot all about my tiredness and sleep and just sat next to him.
- He was in pain and needed medication from time to time.
- I was happy he did not have a serious fracture.
- I made a cup of strong coffee for myself and was able to stay awake till about 2 am.
- Then my father, who was sleeping in the next room, woke up and I went to bed.
- So, this was the time when I was very sleepy and yet had to stay awake.
Part 3 – Follow up Questions
- On what occasions do people need to stay awake even when they are tired?
People need to stay awake when they have to prepare for exams, or when there is some function at home, or when there is a sick person at home, or when they are travelling.
- How do they keep awake when they are tired?
They have some tea or coffee, which helps them stay awake. They may also take a few steps and do some stretching to refresh themselves. They may wash their face or even take a bath to avoid sleepiness.
- Why do people feel tired a lot nowadays?
Most people are sleep deprived. That’s why they feel tired. People are glued to their gadgets and don’t sleep on time. The second reason is overwork. People have become workaholics. They may also suffer nutritional deficiencies leading to anaemia, which may cause tiredness.
- What kind of people lack sleep?
All kinds of people lack sleep, but the worst affected are the youngsters. They have many distractions, such as smartphones and tablets. They keep chatting or playing online games and forget about sleep.