Describe something you bought but you were not happy with
You should say:
- What this thing is?
- When did you buy it?
- Why were you not happy with it?
- How did you react?
Band 8.0+ Sample Answer
Actually in my life, I have performed many different transactions which give me both sense of satisfaction and discontent. However if I have to pick out one item that really let me down, I would name the birthday cake that I bought for my sister 2 years ago. Now with reference to why I were not content with is, I suppose there was a combination of reasons here. One of them was its exorbitant price. On my sister’s birthday, I had an emergency at work and it took me almost all day till 11 pm to resolve it. Although it cost me an arm and a leg to buy the cake, I still decided to take it since it was the only bakery shop stayed open that late. Everything would be fine if it tasted good but unfortunately the cake was of terrible quality. It tasted way too sweet and was not appetizing at all. Thus, I was kind of regretful, choosing to purchase the cake instead of any other present for my sister. Actually as I had to splash out on the cake and received almost nothing back, I tended be more careful to make really sensible buying decision from that on.
- Transaction (n): an instance of buying or selling something
- Discontent (n): dissatisfaction, lack of contentment
- Pick out (phrasal verb): to choose
- Let someone down (expression): fail to support or help someone as they expected
- With reference to (expression): about
- Content (a): in a taste of peaceful happiness
- Exorbitant (a): (price) unreasonably high
- Cost an arm and a leg (idiom): be extremely expensive
- Appetizing (a): delicious
- Splash out (phrasal verb): to spend a lot of money on something
- Sensible (a): in accordance with wisdom and prudence