Topic : BICYCLES
Useful words and phrases:
- adopt (v)
- allocate (v)
- commute (v)
- convince (v)
- dedicated (adj)
- hesitate (v)
- impose a (heavy) tax on (collocation)
- overreliance (n)
- overdependence (n)
- prevalent (adj)
- prominent (adj)
- promote (v)
- shortage (n)
Task 1: Write sentences from given cues. Make changes to the cues when needed.
- government / programme / grow / cash crops / export / be / double-edged sword / since / it / create / local food shortage.
- he / move / house / three time / just / find / convenient location / commute / work.
- agriculture / company / fail / convince / consumers / that / GM (genetically modified) foods / safe.
- recruiter / surprised / see / him / hesitate / accept / job offer.
- overdependence / use / pain killers / lead / drug addict.
Task 2: Fill in the blanks with suitable words/phrases
convince (v) – convincing (adj)
|impose a (heavy) tax on (collocation)|
overreliance (n) – overdependence (n)
Nowadays people use bicycles less as a form of transport.
Why is that?
What can we do to encourage people to use bicycles more?
Cycling has long been considered an effective way of improving physical health and reducing the risk of obesity. However, in recent decades, there has been a 1___________trend for people to use bicycles less to 2___________. This trend could be ascribed to a few reasons, and definite actions must be taken to 3___________the use of bicycles.
There are obvious reasons as to why people 4___________to choose bicycles as a form of transport. The most 5___________reason is the 6___________on modern means of transport, such as cars and motorbikes. These modes of transport are faster and more suitable for long journeys than bicycles. Another 7___________reason is that in many places in the world, including Vietnam, there are no 8___________cycling paths for bicycles. This means that cyclists in these regions would have to ride in the same lane as motor vehicles, which is without doubt a dangerous practice.
To boost the use of bicycles, the government should 9___________both of the following measures. First, the government should 10___________motor vehicles. This tax would discourage people from using motor vehicles, and thus encourage them to switch to bicycles, a human-powered land vehicle. Second, the government should 11___________more money to the construction of cycling paths for citizens. If a system of cycling paths was well-developed, people would consider bicycles a safe and convenient mode of transport. In conclusion, the unpopularity of bicycles could be attributed to the 12 ___________on modern means of transport and the 13___________of dedicated cycling paths. To encourage people to cycle more, the government should therefore introduce a tax on motor vehicles and invest money in building dedicated paths for cyclists.
1. The government’s programme to grow cash crops for export is a double-edged sword because it has created a local food shortage.
2. He has moved his house three times just to find a convenient location to commute to work.
3. Agricultural companies have failed to convince consumers that GM foods are safe.
4. The recruiters were surprised to see him hesitating to accept the job offer.
5. Overdependence on using pain killers can lead to drug addiction.
(10) impose a heavy tax on