Topic: CAR-FREE DAYS
Useful words and phrases:
- advocate (n)
- atmosphere (n) – atmospheric (adj)
- contaminant (n) – contaminate (v)
- contribute (v)
- culprit (n)
- curtail (v)
- designate (v)
- emission (n)
- eschew (v)
- exaggerate (v) – exaggeration (n)
- exert (v)
- flaw (v/n)
- fume (n)
- guarantee (v)
- holistic (adj)
- levy (v)
- long-lasting (adj) – longer-lasting (comparative adj)
- mere (adj)
- reduce (v) – reduction (n)
- short-term – long-term (adj)
- significant (adj)
- ubiquity (n) – ubiquitous (adj)
Task 1: Write sentences from given cues. Make changes to the cues when needed.
- area / park / be / specially / designate / children.
- much / coast / be / contaminate / nuclear waste.
- high / cost / fuel / sure / curtail / holiday travel / this year.
- outspoken / singer / be / advocate / gay and lesbian / right.
- he / tend / exaggerate / when / talk / about / accomplishment
Task 2: Fill in the blanks with suitable words/phrases
|advocate (n) |
|guarantee (v) |
reduce (v) – reduction (n)
short-term – long-term (adj)
ubiquity (n) – ubiquitous (adj)
Some people think international car-free days are an effective way of reducing air pollution, others think there are some other ways. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
The 1___________of cars is often considered as a major 2___________of air quality degradation in many countries. To combat 3___________pollution, many suggest that car-free days should be held internationally. However, I contend that these events may achieve little success, and there are more effective methods to preserve the atmosphere.
4___________of organising global car-free days may argue that the absence of cars promotes the use of public transport and activities such as cycling and walking, which all 5___________considerably to the 6___________of traffic emissions. This argument, from my perspective, is 7___________, because of two facts. The first is that a few days without cars out of 365 days of the year may help cut down as little as one percent of the annual amount of traffic 8___________, so the assertion that this 9___________reduction is 10___________is a 11___________. The second is that this solution does not limit the massive amount of air 12___________being released from industrial zones. It is therefore a one-sided approach and arguably not an effective way to address the problem of air pollution.
There are, in myopinion, better measures to minimise air pollution. One of them is constructing dedicated lanes for public means of transport. These lanes 13___________that public transport is relatively faster than individual vehicles in rush hours, which may encourage a majority of commuters to 14___________their personal vehicles in favour of mass transit. The implication is that motor vehicle use may be reduced throughout the year, which 15___________a 16___________impact on minimising traffic fumes than international car free days may do. Another measure is 17___________a tax on carbon usage in all areas, including transport and industrial production.This measure has been adopted in several countries including the United Kingdom, and has proven its effectiveness as a 18___________approach to 19___________in all fields.
To sum up, I believe the organisation of world car free days may produce little effect on protecting the atmosphere. Other solutions, namely building 20___________lanes for public vehicles and taxing all industries on carbon usage, produce more sustainable effects on a larger scale.
- This area of the park has been specially designated for children.
- Much of the coast has been contaminated by nuclear waste.
- The high cost of fuel is sure to curtail holiday travel this year.
- The outspoken singer is an advocate for gay and lesbian rights.
- He tends to exaggerate when talking about his accomplishments.
(11) mere exaggeration
(19) curtail emissions