Should learning English as an international language be encouraged?
- English is the official language in more than sixty countries.
- Learning English leads to more career and educational opportunities.
- English is widely used around the world. It is actually becoming a global second language.
- English is the dominant language of technology, science and international business.
- Most textbooks and journals are published in English.
- The ability to speak English is a necessary skill in the modern world.
- Exposing children to English is exposing them to another culture, which could give them a new perspective on life.
- Twice as many people speak Chinese as speak English. Why not learn Chinese?
- By 2050, there will be more Hindi and Urdu speakers than English speakers.
- By 2050, there will be an equal number of Spanish, Arabic and English speakers.
- English is a difficult language to learn.
- Some languages disappear because people speak English instead // If one language is dominant, other languages will disappear.
- Using translation devices is easier than learning English.
- The dominant language brings its own culture.